Bills enacted during the current session
27 records found
Roofing Contractor Licensing, SB 147
• Requires licensing of roof contractors for any repair work costing more than $2,500.
Patient Brokering, S 1451
• Prohibits patient brokering, including by health insurers, for sober home treatment.
Vehicle Towing , HB 2306
• Addresses abuses of towing of vehicles. Places duties on tow companies, owners and insurers. Passed House on 2/22/18. Passed Senate on 4/5/18. House concurredand governor signed on 4/17/18.
False claims act, HB 1685
• Amends the state's insurance false claims law by opening any funds recovered if AG refuses to take the case for crime prevention instead of just insurance fraud.
Funding, SF 2416
• State appropriation includes funding for 2 full-time equivalent positions for the fraud bureau for one prosecuting attorney and one special investigator. Passed House on 5/2/18 and Senate of 5/4/18. Signed by Governor on 6/1/18.
Restitution, HF 2238
• Allows insurers to seek criminal restitution if they are the victim of insurance fraud.
Insurance Crime Penalties, HB 323
• Increases criminal penalties; provides restitution for insurers and abandons need for convicition for civil recovery.
Insurance Fraud Authority , SB 153
• Extends funding to July 1, 2020 for the Sledge Jeansonne Louisiana Insurance Fraud Prevention Act. Passed Senate on 4/10/18 and House on 5/3/18. Signed by Governor on 5/15/18.
Policy Rescission , SB 554
• Office of Group Benefits may retroactively cancel health or life insurance coverage of an enrollee or dependents if the enrollee engages commits fraud, or an intentional misrepresentation of material fact and bars from eligibility for coverage. Passed Senate on 4/24/18 and House on 5/17/18. Signed by Governor on 6/1/18.
PBM Regulation & Disclosure, SB 283
• Provides for state DOI licensure of pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs), requires annual reporting and disclosure provisions. Passed Sentate on 4/4/18, passed House on 5/10/18 and signed by Governor on 5/20/18.
Juvenile Life Insurance, HB 27
• Companion bill to SB 168. Authorizes life insurers to refuse insurance on a minor in certain circumstances. Passsed House & Senate and signed by the Governor on 5/8/18.
Workers Compensation Fraud, HB 1499
• Requires governmental self-insureds to report suspected insurance fraud. Cross-filed with SB 575; Passed House on 3/15/18 Passed Senate on 3/30/18. Seigned by Governor on 5/8/18.
Juvenile Life Insurance , SB 168
• Places limits and reporting requirements on juvenile life insurance policies. Companion to HB 27 which passed the House and Senate and signed by the Governor on 5/8/18.
Antifraud Plan Requirements , SB 59
• Antifraud plans must only be filed by insurers who deliver policies or certificates in MD
Fraud Reporting Immunity, SB2527
• Prohibits civil liability for the reporting of suspected insurance fraud.
Public Adjuster Licensing, L 743
• Adopts the Public Adjusters Licensing Act.
Balanced Billing, HB 1809
• Phobits balanced billing under managed care law for out-of-network providers at in-network facilities. Passed House on 3/6/18 and Senate on 5/3/18. Signed by Governor on 7/2/18.
Position of Insurance Fraud Director, S 470
• Creates the position of Insurance Fraud Director. Passed the Senate on 2/15/18 and House on 4/12/18. Signed by Governor on 5/30/18.
Air Ambulance Billing, H 1782
• Establishes a committee to study insurance payments to air ambulance providers. Passed House on 3/6/18 and Sentate on 4/19/18. Signed by Governor on 5/25/18.
Auto Fraud Prevention Authority, HB173
• Creates an auto fraud prevention authority within the DOI.
Counterfeit Air Bag Act, HB 7125
• Model Air Bag Act. Passed House on 6/7/18. Passed Senate on 6/19/18. Signed by Governor on 6/25/18.
Data Security for Insurers, HB 4655
• Requires insurers to have a written data security prorgram to safeguard consumers and to investigate cybersecurity events leading to unathorized access or misuse of data. Passed House on 2/7/18, Senate on 4/18/18 and signed by Governor on 5/3/18.
Counterfeit Air Bags, S2583
• Increases penalties for use of counterfeit airbags
Patient Brokering, HB 2068
• Provides criminal penalties for patient brokering and referral payments related to drug and alcohol rehabilitation treatement. Passed House on 4/5/18, Senate on 4/19/18 and signed by Governor on 5/3/18.
Patient Brokering , HB 14
• Prohibts patient brokering for substance abuse and disorder treatment. Passed House on 2/2/18 and Senate on 3/2/18 and signed by Governor on 3/20/18.
Patient Brokering, S 222
• Prohibits renumeration or brokering for referral or testing regarding substance abuse treatment.
Solicitation , SB 273
• Prohibits doctors from soliciting patients, either personally or by an agent, through the use of fraud, intimidation, or undue influence;