Insurance Fraud NEWS

Coalition Against Insurance Fraud

Another Michigan doc snagged in alleged $130M plot

November 08, 2017, Oakland County, MI — Another doctor has been added to the list of Michigan medical professionals who the U.S. government says submitted over $130 million in fraudulent billings to Medicare over nearly a decade, beginning in 2008.

A new defendant, Dr. Kashif Rasool of Oakland County, was indicted Tuesday, Oct. 7, and and joins seven others accused in participating in the scheme that involved a network of health providers and doctors who submitted bogus bills to Medicare over nearly a decade.

Rasool would submit "sham" bills to Medicare through two Detroit-based health care providers, including New Center Medical and Tri-County Physicians, the indictment says.

Rasool, whose involvement in the scheme began in 2014, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office, participated in billing nearly $6.6 million in false Medicare claims.

The fraud, one of biggest health care schemes ever in Michigan, allowed those involved to live lavish lifestyles from the money they bilked from the federal government, according to court filings.

Writes Robert Snell of the Detroit News of one defendant, 37-year-old Mashiyat, who is believed to be the mastermind and had his bond revoked last month:

His jailing is a stark reversal of fortune for Rashid, who prosecutors say blew money from the $132 million scheme on a $7 million mansion in Franklin and enjoyed a luxury lifestyle that included an orange Lamborghini, a cherry-red Ferrari, luxury watches and private jet flights.

Authorities allege he was caught with a duffel bag stuffed with $500,000.

Source: MLive.com

< Back to stories list